VERTIC at 2019 PrepCom
VERTIC to host a seminar during the 2019 Preparatory Committee for the 2020 NPT Review Conference. Co-hosted with UNODA, the seminar will examine the role of verification in multilateral arms control.
On 24 May 2018, the UN Secretary-General published ‘Securing our Common Future: Agenda for Disarmament.’ In this document, the Secretary-General stated his intention to ‘re-energize nuclear disarmament discussions’ focusing on ways to prepare for a world free of nuclear weapons. With this in mind, the seminar will also discuss how technical exchanges on verification standards and techniques can support this goal.
- Ambassador Guilherme de Aguiar Patriota, Permanent Representative to the Conference on Disarmament, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Brazil;
- Mr Li Chijiang, Vice President and Secretary-General, China Arms Control and Disarmament Association;
- Ms Elena Gai, Researcher for Verification & Monitoring, VERTIC;
- Dr Joseph F. Pilat, Global Fellow, Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars; and
- Mr Jørn Osmundsen, Special Envoy for Disarmament Affairs, Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Please see the below flyer for details on how to attend.