VERTIC participates in EU CBRN CoE Project 61 Meeting in Indonesia
VERTIC’s Senior Legal Officer, Yasemin Balci, participated in a meeting of the EU CBRN Centres of Excellence Project 61 in Jakarta, Indonesia from 15 to 16 November 2018.
The purpose of Project 61 is to address outstanding chemical safety and security issues in areas of legislation, prevention, detection, response and recovery. The project addresses not only the sound management of chemicals and their wastes, but also takes emerging chemical issues into account.
The five components of Project 61 are:
- Judicial reinforcement with respect to the sound management of chemicals and their wastes
- Enhanced capacity for prevention of chemical incidents including both safety and security aspects
- Enhanced capacity for the region's mobile detection possibilities and chemical testing laboratories
- Measures to enhance the region's preparedness and response capacity to chemical incidents
- Measures to enhance the region's recovery capacity after a chemical incident
The Project 61 consortium consists of international experts from Public Health England (PHE) (UK), Sustainable Criminal Justice Solutions (SCJS) (UK), the National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM) (Netherlands), the International Security and Emergency Management Institute (Slovakia) and VERTIC (UK).
Yasemin Balci is Project 61’s Key Legal Expert and is responsible for implementation of Work Package 1 (Judicial reinforcement with respect to sound management of chemicals and their wastes).
The participating countries in Project 61 are Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Viet Nam.
Last changed: Dec 20 2018 at 1:15 PMBack